Monday, October 14, 2013

Successful Potty Tips

In my mind I thought Bear would be potty trained by age 2.  It's a typical potty training story, we started out strong, lost interest, came back to it and then were forced to really go for it.  We are almost completely there.  Down to poops, night time and occasionally at nap.

Bear, age 3, decided recently to purposefully pee his pants at Nana's house.  Not certain what brough this one but once we hit a certain point in potty training I just kind of gave up, like, oh he'll just sort of do the rest on his own.  It does not work that way.  We had several incidents where poop was smeared on things (gross, I know) so we had to try something!

I am happy to say we're relatively accident free (except real accidents) and he goes poo in the potty almost every day.  Thanks to a clever idea from Nana, the phrase "Mommy, I need to sink a boat" has become quite common.

If you are down to the point where your child flat out refuse to poop in the potty try this:

The S.S. POOPNUGGET Battle Ship Tutorial


Now I had heard of little flushable boats or adding a goldfish to the potty to help with aim but would have never thought to use little boats as a way to get to #2

Get some old magazine or newspaper pages - these end up being about 3 inches long and dissolve pretty quickly.  Follow these instructions: HERE

I personally have never made these, thankfully my mom made a stock of them to keep in the bathroom but since they are working so well I will learn.

Stock up on boats and keep them in the bathroom (preferably out of reach - these are special boats with one purpose).  I don't offer the diaper option unless he is going to bed so if I notice him being quiet in his room (or clenching his cheeks) I ask him if he needs to sink a boat, he usually says yes, we drop it in and he...sinks the boat!

I would not use this option for aim since you dont want to flush a million paper boats down the potty.  We are on town sewer so beware if you have septic.  

If you are trying to get your little to practice aim, buy the Scrubbing Bubbles Gel Discs.  They are little gel discs that stick to the inside of the bowl.  Bear enjoys trying to aim his pee at the disc and there is no harm to the toilet since all they are made for keeping potties clean.

How are you tackling the potty?

Love,
PlusPeace

No comments:

Post a Comment