Sunday, February 6, 2011

Berry Yummy!


I haven't forgotten you guys!! Baby's first Valentine's Day is coming up in just one week and cookies, cards and other fun projects are going to start appearing all around you and your kids this week.



I'm not a huge fan of food dyes personally-especially when it comes to feeding my son! Today we made cookies, actually I made cookies and Bear sat on the floor playing with mixing bowls. It was a regular sugar cookie recipe and my frosting:
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
3 tbs. water
1 heaping tbs. frozen berry mix

Thaw the berries on the counter or in the microwave until smooshy (I use the Dole or Hannaford brand) Put berry mush, sugar and water in food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Some berry skins are OK they just don't puree.

After making your heart shaped cookies let them cool and spread the purple frosting in a thin layer with a spoon. The frosting will harden so it wont be messy when the kiddos eat them (besides crumbs) I love this recipe because it gives a nice flavor to the frosting too..very tasty!

I also use this same "berry coloring" concept in homemade whipped cream, heart shaped pancakes, vanilla frappes, puree for baby food (usually sweet enough as is) and pretty much anything sweet that needs some holiday pizzaz!

To keep your baby busy while you're cooking let him watch or play with cooking pots on the floor. I would avoid trying to HOLD your baby on your hip while you cook near a hot surface. Also showing your baby that it's ok not to be held during chores will be useful later on when your child is 1.5 or 2 and wants to be held while you cook...now thats a sore hip!

I have an idea for holiday cards baby can make with you but I want to test it before I post. So HOPEFULLY all will go well with that =]

Love,
PlusPeace

1 comment: