Friday, October 28, 2011

How to Handle a Teething Toddler

Bear has been a TERROR since he started teething again. Maybe this will all sound familiar, he is short tempered because he's in pain and doesn't understand why, then he's frustrated because it hurts to eat and he can't tell me, then he throws a tantrum while I try to figure out what he wants, then he bites me. Which logically would be a good way to show someone that your mouth hurts.

Step Number 1: Stay calm. The angrier I get, the shorter my temper is and the less helpful I will be. If you stay composed, while trying to figure everything out it goes way smoother. I know it's not easy having a little 2.5' person hanging off your leg by his teeth but trust me, as much as you want to flip out, you'll only feel guilty for doing it.

Number 2: Figure out exactly what he needs. If it's some kind of food, let him explore the kitchen and find what he wants - within reason. Keep in mind hard foods may hurt, yogurt, peanut butter, canned fruit and vegetables, spaghettios, etc are all nice soft foods.

Number 3: Tylenol, Orajel Night & a redbull for you (you wont be getting much sleep).

Some great things Bear likes is me keeping him distracted (like playing and being silly), brushing his teeth (he loves how this feels) & that vibtrating corn teether that he liked when he was 6 months is now a favorite again.

Best of luck,
PlusPeace


1 comment:

  1. Excellent advice, and so true about staying calm and figuring out their needs! I hope his teeth come in quickly so both of you can get some rest. :)

    ReplyDelete