Monday, March 4, 2013

Easy Dinner

Last night I dreaded going home to make dinner - it was a long day and the sky was throwing up slush so the drive wasn't even easy. I has planned to make this for dinner and bought most of what I needed but ended up not using the directions and doing it my own way...absolutely DELICIOUS and EASY!


The original recipe asked for a dutch oven or cast iron skillet.  Which we have but we also have a glass cook-top which is a nono so I used a large skillet then put everything into the cast iron when it came time for oven. I also pre-cooked 1 large chicken breast and let it cool while I chopped up the veggies.

You will need:
1/2 Large Onion - chopped fairly small
2 tbs Butter
1/3 Cup Flour
1/2 Bag Frozen Peas/Carrots mix
1 1/2 Cups Chicken Broth
1 Cup Milk
Cooked Shred/Cubed Chicken
Rosemary
Thyme
Sage
Bisquick/Milk - Follow bisquick directions

Preheat oven to 450. In a large skillet OR cast iron skillet melt butter over medium high heat.  Add chopped onions and cook until soft (3-5 minutes) whisk in flour, once combined with butter and onions, whisk in broth and milk.  This process is really fast, so have everything available.  Add chicken, peas, carrots and spices - continue to stir until it begins to thicken.  Remove from heat and place in oven (or in cast iron skillet THEN the oven).  

In a mixing bowl follow directions on the bisquick for dinner rolls.  I did not roll out the dough and cut it, I just divided it into 6 or 7 even balls and flattened them by hand.  Open the oven and place rolls evenly on top.  Keep in the oven until rolls are light brown on top and cooked through - 10ish minutes.  

Remove from oven and serve! Caution - its HOT!

I love this dish because it looks complicated, tastes like it's been cooking all day but takes about 30 minutes total.

Love,
PlusPeace

No comments:

Post a Comment